8.26.2012

Type 3: Stein & Cubism

After looking through some analytical cubism pieces and trying to analyze them I went back to read some more of tender buttons, but this time trying to read them as if I was reading a Picasso painting and the poems really started to make a little more sense. I started to ignore the habits of reading I've developed even fundamental ideas like reading from left to right then up and down. This painting helped me understand this.
Portrait of Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler


Where does your eye focus? where does the composition direct you? To me it makes my eyes scatter I look everywhere theres no pattern for my eyes to follow so why should I read Stein's poems as if I were reading a normal poem? And just like this painting every time I read a poems differently I noticed something I didn't notice before. I want achieve what Picasso achieved but backwards. He took something that is 3d and fit it into a 2d space; I want to take these Poems that are normally printed on a flat surface and with flat letter. The words need depths, or at least the illusion of depth by using perspective. Words/phase will have some force perspective and using the this depth to express her poems. Here are some examples:





I am still working on how I will execute this concept but think this idea will add to Stein's approach to literature. As far as typefaces I am still in search for the right typefaces but so far I am leaning towards serifed types. For the the actual poems I will look for something clean it will help with the force perspective and make it easier to read. For titles I want a typeface that compliments Picasso's Portrait of Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler as it will be the artwork that I want to base the cover on. this typeface won't be as clean make a bit angular similar to the lines in the painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment