9.10.2013

VA: Reading Response - Week 3

Graphic Authorship

My interest in graphic design has stemed from wanting to communicate other individuals messages. With that said, I don't know if I have any authorship, to some extent I'm sometimes that obedient designer. One part of this reading that I connected to is "the ways a designer could be an author are complex and confused, the way designers have used the term and the value attributed to it are equally so" I really haven't grasped this concept entirely, as I am a concrete think and learner so I thrive with concrete ideas. The closing statement really connected to me it felt as the writer sees the concept of author as just an idea to compel designer but in the end we could still be just designers and it's ok, to me being a designer is a pretty honorable title on its own.



The Designer as Producer

Now this reading is more my style nice concrete ideas that I can fully grasp. I can fully agree that technology has shifted the whole field. Now that we can all make complete products it make complete sense to be producers. Entrepreneurial-ship in design is definitely growing so it's understandable to see a designer to jump into the manufacturing work. The writer kept using font creating and software as example but I think it can go beyond that and I would like to see more examples of that.



Design with Intent

When I first transferred  to KCAI for design I did not at all expect to learn about user psychology. UCD was such a new thing to me, In fact it pretty new to the design world also. This idea of become a "disappearing designer" is a topic I am on the edge about, part of me doesn't like the idea my being sort of ignored yet I can understand that if you design something well enough the user becomes unaware that is designed because the experience is so natural. With that said there are a lot of new UCD ideas I am completely down for is Persuasion design. The article gives the example of the Bank of America kiosk being red and how red has been known to influence less risk taking behavior. There is much more in this area to explore other than just the effects of color or a tiny happy face. UCD design overall is still a field I'm not sure if I want to enter completely just yet but it definitely is an interesting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment